Nalanda Institute Malaysia
Nalanda Institute Malaysia (NIM) was conceptualised in January 2006 in response to the needs of the Buddhist community to have an institution for proper, systematic and holistic learning of the Buddha-Dhamma in Malaysia. The then Spiritual Advisor to Nalanda Buddhist Society, Venerable Dr. Kirinde Sri Dhammananda Nayaka Thera gave his unequivocal support to the idea.
Nalanda Institute was formally established on 1 July 2007. Dr. Tan Ho Soon was appointed the Institute’s Founding Director for a 3-year term. On 1 July 2010, Mr Vijaya Samarawickrama succeeded Dr. Tan as Director for an extended term of 4 years. On 1 July 2014, Mr Tan Siang Chye assumed the Directorship, becoming the third Director of Nalanda Institute.
Nalanda Institute provides various courses in Buddhist and Pāli Studies leading to Certificate and Diploma levels, as well as short training courses to enhance leadership and management skills for Buddhist volunteers. All the courses are freely available to the public in line with the Institute’s charitable objectives.
Other focal areas of the Institute include Conferences, Symposiums, Educational Tours, Pilgrimage and Buddhist Publications.
Besides Nalanda Centre in Selangor, the Institute’s courses have also been held in Kedah, Kelantan, Kuala Lumpur, Sabah, Sarawak and Terengganu, in collaboration with local Buddhist organizations. In April 2013, the first overseas courses under Nalanda Institute was held in Singapore. As of July 2015, more than 10,300 participants have benefited from the Institute’s courses, study tours and conferences.
Nalanda Institute’s Institutional Roles
- Defender of the Doctrine – To propagate the correct doctrines of the original teachings and to establish them as mainstream Buddhism.
- Promoter of Buddhist (Pāli) Studies – To arouse and sustain the interest of the community in Buddhist Studies.
- Promoter of Research & Publications – To promote further research and publications on Buddhist Studies in the Pāli tradition.
- Centre of Creativity & Innovation – To promote creative thinking and innovative applications of Buddhist principles in various fields and modern lifestyles.
- Voice for Buddhism – To become a “Voice for Buddhism” in Malaysia by issuing public statements and presenting Buddhist views on various issues affecting society at large.
- Institute of Standards – To establish standards pertaining to Buddhist (Dhamma) Schools, Management in Education, Library Management and Publications.
- Department of Buddhist & Pāli Studies
- Department of Leadership & Management Studies
- External Courses & Study Tours
- To promote & facilitate the study, research and propagation of Buddhist teachings in the Pāli tradition.
- To offer short, medium and long-term courses up to Diploma level to the public.
|BPS 001||Buddhist Studies in Mandarin||General|
|BPS 021||Three-hour Tipitaka Tour|
|BPS 031||Buddhist Devotional Practice|
|BPS 032||Buddhist Devotion Series “Walking the Buddhist Path”|
|BPS 053||Historical Development of Buddhist Scriptures|
|BPS 068||True Significance of WESAK|
|BPS 111||Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta Commentarial Course|
|BPS 121||Introduction to Tipitakā – Tour of the Digha Nikaya|
|BPS 123||Introduction to Tipitakā – Tour of the Samyutta Nikaya|
|BPS 124||Introduction to Tipitakā – Tour of the Anguttara Nikaya|
|BPS 133||Ratana Sutta||Discourse on Precious Jewels|
|BPS 136||Metta Sutta||Discourse on Loving-kindness|
|BPS 137||Ālavaka Sutta||Discourse to Alavaka|
|BPS 138||Mangala Sutta||Discourse on Highest Blessings|
|BPS 139||Parabhava Sutta||Discourse on Causes of Downfall|
|BPS 141||Dhammapada||The Fool & The Wise|
|BPS 142||Dhammapada||The Twin Verses|
|BPS 143||Dhammapada||The Flower of Mankind|
|BPS 144||Dhammapada||The Path to Liberation|
|BPS 145||Dhammapada||Rare is the Occurrence|
|BPS 211||Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta Study Workshop|
|BPS 212||Anattalakkhana Sutta Study Workshop|
|BPS 271||Satipatthāna Sutta Study with Meditation Workshop|
|BPS 272||Samatha & Vipassana Sutta Study With Meditation Workshop|
|BPS 301||Certificate in Buddhist Studies||General|
|BPS 302||Certificate in Buddhist Studies 2013||General|
|BPS 401||Higher Certificate in Buddhist Studies|
|BPS 402||Higher Certificate in Buddhist Studies 2014|
- To promote & facilitate the study, research and adoption of Buddhist principles of Leadership & Management.
- To offer courses up to Diploma level to the public in Buddhist leadership principles and management studies.
- To establish & maintain a Think-tank as an Innovation & Vision Centre for the Malaysian Buddhist Community.
|LMS 122||Volunteer Training Programme|
|LMS 2141||Managing a Dharma Centre||Module 1 & 2|
|LMS 2142||Managing a Dharma Centre||Module 3 & 4|
|LMS 231||Effective Management for Buddhist Organizations||Human Capital|
|LMS 232||Effective Management for Buddhist Organizations||Human Capital Development|
|LMS 271||Buddhist Principles of Leadership & Governance|
|LMS 274||Buddhist Social Action|
|LMS 275||Effective Management of Human Capital in Buddhist Organization|
|LMS 276||The Four-Factor Model of Leadership Effectiveness (Part 1)||Profile of an Effective Buddhist Leader|
|LMS 277||The Four-Factor Model of Leadership Effectiveness (Part 2)||Leadership Styles that Create a Climate of Excellence|
|LMS 278||Leadership Effectiveness (Part 3)||Managing Effective Relationship with EQ|
|LMS 331||Effective Training & Development||Understanding the Psychology of Training|
|LMS 3511||Effective Training & Development||Make Your Training Effective|
|LMS 3512||Effective Training & Development||Analyzing Your Target Audience|
|LMS 361||Effective Training & Development||Designing Your Training|
|LMS 3631||Effective Training & Development||Delivering Your Training (Part 1)|
|LMS 3632||Effective Training & Development||Delivering Your Training (Part 2)|
|LMS 441||Certificate in Teaching (in Dharma School)|
|LMS 4411||Philosophy of Education|
|LMS 4412||Class Management|
|LMS 4413||Leadership in Education|
|LMS 4414||Counseling in Education|
|LMS 4415||Education Technology|
|LMS 4416||Educational Psychology|
|LMS 4417||Ethics in Education|
|LMS 442||Certificate in Teaching in Dharma School||With practical component|
|EXT 207||Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse|
Study & Educational Tours
|SET 012||Study Tour to Borobudur, Yogjakarta, Solo 2008|
|SET 014||Study Tour to Borobudur & Yogjakarta 2009|
|SET 016||Study Tour to Borobudur & Yogjakarta 2010|
|SET 018||Study Tour to Borobudur & Yogjakarta 2012|
|SET 020||Study Tour to Borobudur & Yogjakarta 2013|
|SET 202||Study Tour to Sri Lanka 2012|
|SET 402||Study Tour to Bujang Valley 2014|
|SET 501||Pilgrimage to India & Nepal 2009|
|SET 504||Pilgrimage & Study Tour to India & Nepal 2010|
|SET 506||Pilgrimage to India & Nepal 2012|